For the treatment of heartwater, tick-borne gall sickness (anaplasmosis), pneumonia, navel ill, joint ill and footrot in stock and strangles in horses.
FOR ANIMAL USE ONLY
Reg. No. G3432 (Act 36/1947)
Namibia Reg. No. V04/17.1.2/552 [NS0]
Long- and short acting oxytetracycline injection.
For the treatment of heartwater, tick-borne gallsickness (anaplasmosis), pneumonia, navel ill, joint ill and foot rot in stock and strangles in horses.
A sterile, stable solution of oxytetracycline. It contains the equivalent of oxytetracycline hydrochloride 135 mg/mℓ (as the magnesium complex).
Store in a cool, dark place at or below 25 °C.
Long- and short acting dose
- Withdrawal period: Treated animals must not be slaughtered for human consumption within 28 days of last treatment. Milk from treated cows must not be used for human consumption within 7 days of treatment.
- Dispose of any empty vaccine containers and vaccination equipment according to local waste disposal regulations and do not reuse for any other purpose.
- KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN, UNINFORMED PERSONS AND ANIMALS.
- Although this remedy has been extensively tested under a large variety of conditions, failure thereof may ensue as a result of a wide range of reasons. If this is suspected, seek veterinary advice and notify the registration holder.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE – USE ONLY AS DIRECTED
- Intramuscular, subcutaneous or intravenous injection.
- When injecting intramuscularly, inject into the muscle of the mid-neck area using a needle of not more than 30 mm in length.
- Do not inject more than 20 mℓ at one site.
- Massage the area after injection to enhance absorption and minimise swelling.
- When using the intravenous route, inject slowly and pause if any discomfort is shown.
- THE LONG ACTING DOSE MUST BE ADMINISTERED BY THE INTRAMUSCULAR ROUTE ONLY.
DOSAGE: Normal Use
|Cattle||Heartwater and tick-borne gallsickness (anaplasmosis)||8 mℓ/100 kg body mass daily for 3 days.|
|Pneumonia, navel ill, foot rot and joint ill||8 mℓ/100 kg body mass daily for 3 days.|
|Horses||Foot rot, navel ill, joint ill, pneumonia and strangles||8 mℓ/100 kg body mass daily for 3 days.|
|Sheep and Goats||Heartwater||4 mℓ/50 kg body mass daily for 3 days.|
|Foot rot, pneumonia, navel ill and joint ill||4 mℓ/50 kg body mass daily for 3 days.|
|Pigs||Foot rot and pneumonia||2 mℓ/30 kg body mass daily for 3 days.|
DOSAGE: Long Acting Use (When a higher efficacy and longer action is required)
|Cattle||Heartwater and tick-borne gallsickness (anaplasmosis)||16 mℓ/100 kg body mass. Repeat after 3 days if necessary.|
|Pneumonia, navel ill, foot rot and joint ill||16 mℓ/100 kg body mass. Repeat after 3 days if necessary.|
|Sheep and goats||Heartwater||8 mℓ/50 kg body mass. Repeat after 3 days if necessary.|
|Foot rot, pneumonia, navel ill and joint ill||8 mℓ/50 kg body mass. Repeat after 3 days if necessary.|
N.B. For rapid recovery, a prompt and accurate diagnosis is essential. It is, therefore, always advisable to consult your veterinarian for a correct diagnosis.
SIDE EFFECTS AND SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS
- Hypersensitivity reactions are known to occur with the use of certain classes of antibiotics. These reactions can range from mild, transient skin reactions to fatal anaphylactoid shock. If administered to an animal that is hypersensitive, anaphylactic shock may occur.
- Adrenaline, corticosteroids and antihistamines should be administered to treat anaphylaxis.
- If known hypersensitivity exist in an individual or group of animals, this product should be used with caution and only after consulting with a veterinarian.
- Use of injectable medicinal preparations may result in localised tissue reactions and temporary swelling at the injection site. Treatment is symptomatic and supportive.
- Natural bacterial resistance may develop to antibiotic preparations. If this is suspected please consult with your veterinarian.
100 mℓ and 500 mℓ multi-dose glass vials.
REGISTRATION HOLDER MANUFACTURER
Intervet South Africa (Pty) Ltd. Burchem Research (Pty) Ltd.
20 Spartan Road, Spartan 54 Electron Avenue
1619, RSA Isando
Tel: +27 (0) 11 923 9300
DATE OF PUBLICATION OF THIS PACKAGE INSERT
11 December 2014