For the treatment of mixed infections by nematodes and cestodes in adult dogs.
FOR ANIMAL USE ONLY
Tablets for Dogs
Reg. No. G4226 (Act 36/1947)
For the treatment of mixed infections by nematodes and cestodes of the following species in dogs:
Ascarids: Toxocara canis, Toxascaris leonina (adult and late immature forms).
Hookworms: Uncinaria stenocephala, Ancylostoma caninum (adults).
Whipworms: Trichuris vulpis (adults).
Tapeworms: Echinococcus species, (E. granulosus, E. multilocularis), Taenia species (T. hydatigena, T. pisiformis, T. taeniformis), Dipylidium caninum (adult and immature forms).
Each Exitel Plus tablet contains:
Praziquantel 50 mg
Pyrantel 50 mg (equivalent to 144 mg pyrantel embonate)
Febantel 150 mg
- Store at or below 25 °C.
- Each time an unused half tablet is stored, it should be returned to the open blister space and inserted back into the original carton. Unused half tablets must be used within 14 days.
Special warnings for each target species
- Fleas serve as intermediate hosts for one common type of tapeworm – Dipylidium caninum.
- Tapeworm infestation is certain to reoccur unless control of intermediate hosts such as fleas, mice, etc. is undertaken.
- Tapeworm infestation is unlikely in pups less than 6 weeks of age.
- Parasite resistance to any particular class of anthelmintic may develop following frequent, repeated use of an anthelmintic of that class.
- KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN, UNINFORMED PERSONS AND ANIMALS.
- Although this remedy has been extensively tested under a large variety of conditions, failure thereof may ensue as a result of a wide range of reasons. If this is suspected, seek veterinary advice and notify the registration holder.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE – USE ONLY AS DIRECTED
For oral administration only.
The recommended dose rates are 15 mg/kg body weight febantel, 5 mg/kg pyrantel (equivalent to 14,4 mg/kg pyrantel embonate) and 5 mg/kg praziquantel.
This is equivalent to 1 Exitel Plus tablet per 10 kg body weight.
|Body Weight (kg)||Tablets|
|0,5 to 5 kg||½ Exitel Plus tablet|
|5 to 10 kg||1 Exitel Plus tablet|
|11 to 20 kg||2 Exitel Plus tablets|
|21 to 30 kg||3 Exitel Plus tablets|
|31 kg 40 kg||4 Exitel Plus tablets|
|41 kg 50 kg||5 Exitel Plus tablets|
The tablets can be given directly to the dog or disguised in food. No starvation is needed before or after treatment.
If there is a risk for reinfestation, the advice of a veterinarian should be sought regarding the need for and the frequency of repeat administration.
The combination of praziquantel, pyrantel embonate and febantel is well tolerated in dogs. In safety studies, a single dose of 5 times the recommended dose or greater gave rise to occasional vomiting.
Do not use simultaneously with piperazine compounds.
Do not use in animals with a known sensitivity to the active ingredients or to any of the excipients.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION
Teratogenic effects can be caused by high doses of febantel and was reported in sheep and rats.
No studies were done in dogs during early pregnancy. Use of the product during pregnancy should be in accordance with a benefit-risk assessment done by the responsible veterinarian.
It is recommended that the product is not used during the first 4 weeks of pregnancy. Do not exceed the prescribed dose when pregnant bitches are treated.
INTERACTION WITH OTHER MEDICINAL PRODUCTS AND OTHER FORMS OF INTERACTION
Do not use simultaneously with piperazine compounds as the anthelmintic effects of pyrantel and piperazine may be antagonised.
Concurrent use with other cholinergic compounds can lead to toxicity.
A yellow, uncoated, circular, flavoured, tablet with a cross break-line on one side and plain on the other side.
The tablets can be divided into equal halves or equal quarters.
Packaged in blister packs made of PVC/PE/PCTFE with 20-micron aluminium foil with 20 tablets per blister. They are available in cartons of 20, 50, 100 and 1 000’s. (Not all presentations may be marketed.)
Intervet South Africa (Pty) Ltd.
20 Spartan Road, Spartan
Tel: +27 (0) 11 923 9300
Fax: +27 (0) 11 392 3158
Chanelle Pharmaceuticals Manufacturing Ltd.
Dublin Road, Loughrea
DATE OF PUBLICATION OF THIS PACKAGE INSERT
20 July 2017